Visit Me!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Spoon Rolls, YUMMY!

Over the years I have amassed quite a collection of cookbooks which I weed through about once a year, one in particular that always makes the cut is my Southern Living Christmas Cookbook, billed as your ultimate holiday entertaining guide.


So far it really has lived up to the label. I have yet to make anything in it that hasn't turned out beautifully and we all know how I am when it comes to recipes. As a great bonus it also includes sections such as Table Top Settings, Buffet Arrangement, Holiday Gift Mixes & Ideas & No Recipe Recipes. It's a few steps up from your basic Better Homes Cook Book, although I still cherish the copy Mrs. H. Mercy gave me as wedding gift 15 short years ago. This week I was responsible for bringing rolls and a side dish to our Wednesday night potluck dinner at church for which I decided to make my yummy Parker House Rolls & Carrot Souffle (which I didn't take a pic of so I'll have to post that amazing creation next time I make it). Because I think everything through, I went out & helped the hubby rake leaves in the back yard Tuesday evening & created huge blisters all over my hands which made kneading dough a hazard, especially when they started bursting, ICK! So I went in search of a real bread recipe that wouldn't need kneading (hehehehe) and I decided to hit my cook book shelf instead of the internet this time around which is how I stumbled upon a great recipe for Spoon Rolls. Now one of the things Miss Doodlebop misses the most being GF is bread, I couldn't do without it either! We make lots of sweets which I store on our GF shelf in the freezer so we always have something on hand but bread is a different story. I had a good chunk of the day open so I decided to experiment with this recipe & see how it would do with GF ingredients. Thus I ended up making 2 batches & they both turned out great! I love that these are done in muffin tins, which gives you options as to size, I did the regular recipe in standard tins & Miss D's in a mini pan so we could tell the difference, also there is no kneading of course & multiple risings. It's a fantastic make ahead recipe as it can stay in the fridge anywhere from 4 hrs to 4 days, so you can scoop some out each day & have fresh rolls with dinner for a week if you like!

Spoon Rolls

Homemade rolls have never been so simple; just spoon the dough into muffin cups. The rolls don'e even need to rise. They bake up with slightly pebbly tops that resemble muffins.

make ahead
prep:9min     cook:25min     other:4hrs.,5min
1 (1/4-oz)envelope active dry yeast
2TBSP warm water 
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/4 c sugar (I use organic raw sugar)
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 c self rising flour (or add 3 1/3 tsp soda & 1 tsp salt to flour)
2 c warm water or milk (I use water)

*GF* Version
I used Hodgson Mill GF Baking Mix in place of the flour & GF Baking Powder

Combine yeast & 2 Tbsp warm water in a bowl: let stand 5 minutes.
Combine yeast mixture, oil & remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir until smooth. (If you are making your own self rising flour you need to combine those ingredients seperately before you add the wet ingredients)
Cover tightly, and refridgerate at least 4 hours or up to 4 days.
Stir batter; spoon into greased muffin pans, (I used my lg Pampered Chef scoop & it was perfect) filling 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. I got 24 rolls out of this although the recipe says 20.

Side Note: If you make these with the GF ingredients it's a different consistancy, lighter, thinner & puffs up much more so you need to make sure that you put this dough into large bowls as it does rise in the fridge, the GF more than the original.

I know these are going to be a staple in our home from now on & I was also excited to find that it bakes up well in a bread pan so we can also use it to make sandwich bread for Miss D. I'm so excited to be back in the kitchen after so many months of recuperating & I can't wait to share my creations!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment