Visit Me!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Our Newest Recipe (We're On A Kick This Week!)

Dr. Oz has invaded my life & if he's done the same to yours you know all the changes that ensue. I have really been trying the last few years to eat healthier & feed my family in a more health conscience way which has led me to search out all types of information. So while Dr. Oz has emptied my fridge & pantry so to speak we have been trying new recipes that don't have too many processed ingredients, ect. My family (minus me) are HUGE breakfast eaters & I fix them breakfast for dinner at least once a week, what's cheaper than eggs & pancakes right? So I found a new waffle recipe that surprise, surprise I modified ;) It turned out so well that I didn't even get a pic of them as we all wolfed them down as if we hadn't eaten in days. Even my non-waffle lover, A, said they were pretty good which is saying something. So I wanted to share this new recipe with you, on the off chance that Dr. Oz has also invaded your life ;) Next time I'll make them when the kiddos aren't home & take a bee-u-tee-ful picture!

Oat Waffles:

1 cup all-purpose flour (you can sub whole wheat flour here)


1 cup oat flour*

1/4 c flax meal (I just do mine in my coffee grinder & I add this to almost all my baked items)

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 tablespoon sugar (I don't add this & it's fine)

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups fat-free milk ( I used regular coconut milk & no one knew, crafty mom) *I also had the thought that I could use my dark chocolate almond milk & serve these w/ some fresh whipped cream & strawberries as a nice dessert!

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

*To make the oat flour just put 1 1/4 c oatmeal in your blender & pulse until it's a flour consistency.
 
To be more efficient I use a blender to do my waffles/pancakes. Blend all your wet ingredients & then add the dry, pulse till smooth & pour into your waffle iron, these make 8 full waffles & are so hearty! Some people who are serious about their waffles will beat the egg whites to a stiff peak seperately & then fold them into the rest of the batter, I don't think these people have 3 hungry wolves, ahem, children nipping at their ankles but feel free to be gourmet. These sort of remind me of the Kashi waffles I love but won't buy because they're too pricey for my budget. I hope your family loves these as much as mine who asked to have them every day ;)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Maggie, I look forward to trying it.

    Do you buy your flax seeds whole and grind them, or do you buy ground flax seeds, then grind them finer in your grinder? If you buy them whole, where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy whole, organic flax seed @ Kroger in the natural section. It's really not expensive & I think it stays fresher longer in the whole form than if you bought it already ground, then you can control your consistancy w/ the coffee grinder. Sometimes it's nice to have the specks & crunch & other times not. Hope you enjoy them like we did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to take up blogging here again. ( ; Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete