Visit Me!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ice Day Baking Adventures With My Girls

I don't know about you but I absolutely LOVE weather days with my kiddos! We don't exactly sleep late but we don't have to get up & rush out the door either which is one of my favorite parts. This is the kids 2nd day in a row and we decided it was about time to bake something. My girls love to bake but there's not too much room or counter space in my kitchen so we don't do it too often but today I found a recipe that was so simple that the girls could do it all on their own which they were SO excited about. For those of you who don't know me, I can't follow a recipe to save my life & even this recipe with only 4 ingredients was no different. I made an amazing turkey loaf this week & I told my husband at the dinner table that I had followed a new recipe & he stopped eating & cocked his head to the side with a very scepticle look, so of course I had to confess that I had added a few extra ingredients to spice it up which is when he burst into laughter & said "of course you did, you wouldn't be you if you didn't!" See why we're still married!
     So the girls set out to make something called A Wasp Nest Cake, which elicited very strange looks from all 3 of my kiddos but once I read the ingredients they were game.

WASP'S NEST CAKE

1 (3oz) box cook & serve vanilla pudding (we used Instant Pumpkin Spice Pudding Mix, worked fine)
2 c milk ( we used original Silk Coconut Milk)
1 yellow cake mix (HA, we used this!!)
12oz butterscotch morsels (AND it didn't last, we used dark chocolate!)

On the stovetop mix pudding with milk & bring to a boil. Dump in box of cake mix. Stir & pour into a greased 9*13 inch pan. Sprinkle on morsels. Bake in a 350 oven for 30 min. Let cool & serve.

Of course we didn't let it cool but cut pieces to taste while the chocolate was still hot enough to scald our tongues but it was a home run! I love recipes like this that are so versatile, you can change the flavor by just changing which cake mix or pudding you use, I think this one will be a keeper! The girls had so much fun & were so excited to do it on their own, maybe it's  a lesson to mom to move over in the kitchen & let the next generation of foodies learn somthing. Hurray for weather days!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me ache to see you. What fun to be had on a snow day! Stay warm and safe! Love you!♥ xoxox ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, I never realized how much your girls look allike until seeing all those pictures of their little blonde heads together, bent over their cooking project. They're darling!

    I tend to stray from recipes, too. Most times it works, sometimes not. ;-Þ

    ReplyDelete